I woke up this morning to the realization that I have very few friends who are NOT an Ironman. In my circle, more have crossed that finish line than have not. If I ever find the time to have a BBQ, there will be 3 of us without IM finishers caps. Or jackets. Or t-shirts. Or shot glasses. Or towels. Or the 140.6 bumper sticker flashing in the driveway. (IM finishers are not the silent type, nor are they budget-conscience at the expo. )
My early morning meditation is met with much inspiration, much HAPPY for my friends, 6 of them crossing the finish line last SUNDAY at IMMT. Chris, LV, Michelle, Allison, Liz, Sylvie – I am overjoyed for u!! We had Dylan’s birthday party here at home, with live race stream playing on the big TV, so all our triclueless family members had to watch, hopefully inspired. Hi 5 to u!!! Our friend Vincent just crossed the line at Eastern State 100mi – WOW!!! And on Monday Dylan’s baseball team won the finals to take the popsicles as CHAMPIONS!!!
They all leave me completely motivated to chase my dreams.
No matter how big or how small a dream may appear to the outside world, if it is BIG to u, if it matters to U, go chase it. Get out there, face the adversities that will come your way (there will be some), be open to every opportunity for learning & growth (if you are not, it will come back around. That’s how the universe works), and just keep at it. I’m sure 100 miles is run 1 mile at a time.
My own dreams are BIG. BIG & awesome for moi. 🙂 Go big or go home! LOL And each of u is a part of those dreams, as we embark on our many journeys together. U are my village, the one that surrounds me, inspires me, raises me to be a better athlete and hopefully, a better person. It takes work to look this good 😉 it also takes a lot of ‘stuff’. As minimalist as I try to be, reduce reuse regift recycle, it does take some stuff to live HAPPY, especially in my silly sport. So I’m doing a 2nd post on my favourite things of the past months. The 1st post generated interest & questions & a few online shopping blitzes, it can be found here.
1) Baby shampoo There are people who will say that the internet is full of false information. Yet it is also full of golden nuggets that can be life changing in the most awesome way! Baby shampoo is a trick I picked up years ago, yet I think it’s the best kept secret in tri… Cause no one I swim with knows. Well, now u know. Stop buying new goggles, stop burning your eyeballs with expensive anti-fog. Buy a big bottle of yellow baby shampoo. Fill 2 small bottles, throw one in your swim bag, one in your race transition bag. Before swim, put a drop of shampoo in each lens, rub, & rinse. U will thank me. Sing it
2) Kombucha I am a kombucha lover. A kombucha a day keeps the gastroenterologist away. More than a fan of the fermented tea, I am a big fan of making it myself. Kombucha is the vegan-hippie version of Starbucks: u can buy it for 4$, or u can make it better at home for less than a buck. Although lacking the world popularity of coffee, kombucha is a fermented drink of sweetened black tea that is used as a functional food. It hosts a ton of good bacteria, probiotics, organic enzymes, amino acids & other stuff ur gut will love u for. Once a batch has fermented, u can flavour it with what ever u love; I use lemon & ginger oil, hibiscus flowers, fresh basil & cucumber, chamomile oil even lavender oil for peace in a bottle! If u do buy a bottle, keep the empty to wash & reuse to bottle ur own brew!
3) The red sun rising. I love the sunrise. I am awake for it, everyday. I wait for it. I run / ride/ swim into it. Recently I have started taking pictures of the sunrise. I look at the pics when I go into panic mode about my training. Seeing the bright sun rising, even in a picture, reminds me that I DID put the work in. I DID have a great workout. I AM strong. I AM ready. I AM able. It doesn’t have to be the sunrise. It can be the sunset. Or a selfie of ur badass self. Or ur favourite water bottle. Whatever it is that centres u, that brings u back to remembering how awesome u are, use that in your daily method of operation. Use it as a tool to be more relaxed, less stressed, more in focus less in panic. My SuperCoach would say that life is 10% what happens to us, 90% how we react. He’s smart. I’m a #cluelessathlete so I use every way I can to effectively meditate on the good, & release the negative. What centres u? What refocuses u?
4) Clean cleaning products. In my journey to clear our home, life, sports, minds, bodies of toxins and in trying to reduce our negative impact on the planet, this year I have one by one replaced EVERY cleaning product in our home with a homemade, natural one. The change has been mentally & physically positive. Get this: There is no requirement in Canada for manufacturers to warn consumers about the health and environmental hazards associated with chronic, or long-term, exposure to chemical ingredients in household cleaning products. That rash, those allergies, those ichy eyes, the need of a gas mask when cleaning the bathroom, the toxins that linger on the surfaces in your home – get them out of your space. A few bottles of essential oils, some vinegar, some water, some baking soda can give u a completely germ free, clean, yummy smelling, healthy home for pennies. I consider a toxin free home to be as important as diet. Clean it up & live better.
Clean up your cleaning products. Email me for recipes, tips, tools, etc firstname.lastname@example.org. The journey has made me a huge fan of doTERRA oils, so much I became a Wellness Advocate, because they are pure grade, so they are truly safe & synthetics free. Click the pic up top on the right to learn more, or PM me anytime.
5) Cold Brew Coffee I am an espresso lover. I wake up, stretch, sun salutations, downward dog, plank, hold it hold it hold it, lemon water, espresso. That’s my morning routine. Every morning. Like most races, the finish is the best part! 2 long, strong Kick Ass coffees. Yet sometimes, 3 is yummier than 2, so I put some cold brew in a water bottle that I take training. Like kombucha, there is no reason to not be frugal and make ur own cold brew at home. Save money, use your favourite coffee, and you will always have some on hand. I use this perfectly simple recipe… Now u can too! Cheers!
5 things. 5 awesome things that I am grateful for & happy to share with u. I do hope u have your own list of favourite things (please share!) & I hope that list continues to evolve & change & have the flexibility to allow u to always try something new. This year I did a 63.3km MTB race. Ride. Cause I rode. I fell. I cried. I bled. I walked. I did everything but race… Cause on my list of things & dreams & goals I saw space between the lines for something different. Something that scared me & forced me out of my comfort zone, into those dreams I didn’t think myself able to live out. Crossing the finish line was the ultimate feeling of empowerment… It also made me Hi 5 myself in affirmation that just being true to myself is truly one of my favourite things in world… Easy to do with the awesome village I’ve got 🙂 #blessed.
Thx for reading. Eat well, train safe, be awesome!